Neighbourhood centres strategic repositioning
Neighbourhood Centres are the cornerstones of our communities and play a vital role in connecting and supporting people experiencing social isolation and loneliness.
They provide critical social infrastructure, play a key part in building community connection and cohesion, and provide services and supports that help the lives of hundreds of thousands of Queenslanders that visit Neighbourhood Centres each year.
Empowering Queensland communities to make decisions that are best for their needs is fundamental to achieving our Communities 2032 vision to strengthen the fabric of Queensland’s communities.
Neighbourhood Centres Strategic Repositioning Committee
In 2021, the department commenced the Neighbourhood Centres Strategic Repositioning Project, which included formation of the Neighbourhood Centres Strategic Repositioning Committee.
The Committee is working with the Queensland Government and organisations from across the sector to create a shared vision and framework that will help our Queensland Government funded Neighbourhood Centres continue to deliver crucial services for Queenslanders.
The strategic framework will guide financial investment, strengthen best practices, and build a contemporary and networked service model that responds to a wide range of community needs.
The Committee consists of a cross-section of stakeholders with experience and knowledge of Neighbourhood Centres and their key stakeholders and client groups. It includes the following representatives:
Mr Gary Adsett
General Manager, Queensland Independent Schools Block Grant Authority
Ms Mara Basanovic
Chief Executive Officer, Volunteering Queensland
Ms Karen Dare
Chief Executive Officer, Communify
Ms Sandra Elton
Manager, North Townsville Community Hub / Queensland Community Alliance representative
Ms Nyoka Fetoa’i
Executive Director, Kambu Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation for Health (Kambu Health)
Mr Matthew Gillett
General Manager, Programs, Community Services Industry Alliance (CSIA)
Ms Louise Judge
Manager, Chinchilla Community Centre
Ms Em James
Chief Executive Officer, Neighbourhood Centres Queensland (NCQ)
Mr Geoff Leeming
President, Kingston East Neighbourhood Centre
Ms Michelle Lucas
Executive Director, Logan Together
Mr Tomas Passeggi
Manager, Caloundra Community Centre Inc
Dr Nancy Spencer
Executive in Residence, Policy Innovation Hub, Griffith University
Ms Tanya Stevenson
Chief Executive Officer, Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre
Ms Regina Turner
President, Mura Kosker Sorority Inc
The Committee is chaired by the Executive Director, Community Services or their delegate, and secretariat for the committee is provided by the department.
Committee meeting communiques
- Committee meeting communique—19 May 2023 (PDF, 255.38 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—17 March 2023 (PDF, 253.18 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—8 February 2023 (PDF, 119.16 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—25 November 2022 (PDF, 107.5 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—28 October 2022 (PDF, 224.04 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—24 August 2022 (PDF, 90.1 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—29 June 2022 (PDF, 109.37 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—4 May 2022 (PDF, 366.46 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—6 April 2022 (PDF, 103.64 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—9 March 2022 (PDF, 105.14 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—8 December 2021 (PDF, 115.54 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—24 November 2021 (PDF, 108.16 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—3 November 2021 (PDF, 110.48 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—20 October 2021 (PDF, 103.33 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—21 July 2021 (PDF, 110.5 KB)
- Committee meeting communique—9 June 2021 (PDF, 111.05 KB)
Find out more about Neighbourhood centres | Community support | Queensland Government (www.qld.gov.au).